CarryMe bicycles, known for their portability and lightweight design, have carved a unique niche in the world of folding bicycles. The original name of the bike in 2003 was OX Pocket which was later changed to CarryMe in 2005.
The CarryMe folding bike stands out with its compact folding design, making it an ideal choice for urban commuters. The foldable bicycle’s small footprint allows for easy storage and transport, especially in crowded urban cities. This compact foldable bike is also a favourite among those who rely on public transport, thanks to its quick and easy folding mechanism.
Origins and Evolution
With frame colours ranging from sky blue, lime green, amber orange, khaki brown, to slate grey, and crimson red, there’s a CarryMe bike to suit every style. The lightweight aluminium frame ensures durability and ease of carry, crucial for cyclists who are constantly on the move.
But how did it evolve to become what it is today?
Inception and Inspiration from Wheelchair Users
Interestingly, the initial impetus for the CarryMe design came from an unexpected source. OX Engineering, a Japanese company renowned for its high-performance wheelchairs, approached Pacific Cycles in 2003. They wanted a bicycle that could keep pace with sports wheelchairs.
This request was particularly significant to OX Engineering’s president, Mr. Shigeyuki Ishii, a former professional racing driver who, after a life-altering crash, saw the need for a compact, fast bicycle.
Mr George Lin, CEO of Pacific Cycles in Taichung, Taiwan, designed a bicycle that would redefine the concept of portability and convenience in cycling. The design was influenced by three different bike models of the time: the PB Blanchard, Zero, and Mini 125. The design and concept of both gentlemen were remarkably similar. And so the “CarryMe” was born.
The Genesis of CarryMe: Reinventing the Foldable Bicycle
Introduced in 2005, CarryMe quickly distinguished itself with its unique 8-inch wheels and a slim ¼ inch chain. This pioneering design, which took a mere three months to conceptualize, set new standards in the foldable bicycle category. In 2008, CarryMe’s versatility expanded with the introduction of a dual-purpose travel case, initially serving as both a suitcase and backpack. This case has since evolved into a more robust version, complete with a detachable bike trailer kit, enhancing its functionality for the avid traveller.
Key Design Elements of CarryMe
- Frame and Fork: The selection of AL7005 aluminium alloy for the frame and fork marries lightweight agility with robust durability. This choice is critical for withstanding the rigours of frequent folding and unfolding.
- Drivetrain: Featuring a specialized 84-tooth chain wheel and a 1/4×1/8″ 166L chain, paired with a 14T freewheel, the drivetrain of CarryMe ensures seamless and efficient motion.
- Braking System: Safety is paramount with the integration of alloy side pull brakes and Sturmey Archer Drum Brakes, providing dependable stopping power.
- Wheels and Tyres: Stability and handling are enhanced by the 8″x1-1/4″ 80psi tires, fitted on Pacific CARRYME alloy forged rims, including a rear with an integrated Drum Brake.
- Foldability and Portability: The CarryMe is renowned for its rapid transformation into a compact form in under 15 seconds, ideal for urban commuting and easy storage.
CarryAll: Revolutionizing the Tricycle with Foldability
The CarryAll tricycle emerged as a groundbreaking development in tricycle design, combining the traditional benefits of stability and comfort with the modern need for portability. It can even be used as an alternative to a Personal Mobility Assistant (PMA), or as a way for the elderly and non-cyclists to get some exercise.
Distinctive Features of CarryAll
- Stability and Comfort: The tricycle’s design, with a wider rear wheel stance, offers enhanced stability over conventional bicycles. The use of AL7005 aluminium in the frame contributes to its light yet sturdy build, making it suitable for a diverse range of cyclists including active seniors, beginners, and those with special needs.
- Folding Mechanism: Echoing the CarryMe, the CarryAll boasts a folding mechanism that transforms the tricycle into a compact form within 15 seconds, facilitating effortless transport and storage.
- Adjustable Components: Riders can personalize their experience with adjustable seats and front stems, ensuring a comfortable fit for various body types.
- Drivetrain Simplicity: The simplicity of the single-speed drivetrain makes the CarryAll user-friendly, particularly for those new to cycling or who prefer a low-maintenance option.
- Braking System: The integration of reliable alloy side pull brakes on both the front and rear wheels guarantees safe and effective braking.
Integration into Lifestyle and Public Transport
Both the CarryMe and CarryAll models are designed with a focus on integrating seamlessly into the rider’s lifestyle and public transport systems. They represent George Lin’s vision of creating bicycles that are not only efficient and portable but also accessible and easy to use for a wide range of individuals.
CarryMe’s primary mission is to provide innovative mobility solutions. Recognizing the challenges of urban commuting and the growing need for portable and space-saving transportation options, CarryMe focuses on designing bicycles that are not only compact and foldable but also high-performing and easy to use. This innovative approach caters to the needs of city dwellers, commuters, and travel enthusiasts.
1. Enhancing Accessibility and Convenience
A key aspect of CarryMe’s mission is to enhance the accessibility and convenience of cycling. Their bicycles are designed to integrate seamlessly with public transportation, allowing users to transition easily from cycling to other modes of transport. This adaptability makes CarryMe an ideal choice for mixed-mode commuting and addresses the ‘first and last mile‘ problem in urban travel.
2. Sustainability and Eco-Friendliness
Sustainability is a central element of CarryMe’s brand mission. By providing a practical and enjoyable alternative to motorized transport, CarryMe contributes to reducing carbon emissions and traffic congestion. Their bicycles encourage a more eco-friendly lifestyle, aligning with the growing global emphasis on environmental responsibility.
3. Quality and Durability
CarryMe commits to the highest standards of quality and durability in their bicycles. The use of advanced materials and technology, meticulous design, and rigorous testing ensures that each CarryMe bike is not just lightweight and portable, but also robust and reliable for long-term use.
4. Catering to Diverse User Needs
The brand is dedicated to meeting the diverse needs of its customers. This includes designing bikes that cater to various age groups, abilities, and preferences. Whether it’s for the daily commuter or the weekend adventurer, CarryMe aims to provide a suitable and enjoyable cycling experience for everyone.
Awards and Recognition
The brand’s commitment to innovation and quality has not gone unnoticed. The CARRYME DC, introduced in 2011 with exclusive electric motors, won the Taiwan Excellence Awards. This affirms the brand’s position as a leader in the foldable bicycle sector.
CarryMe bicycles represent a blend of innovative design, practical functionality, and lifestyle integration. From its inception inspired by the needs of wheelchair users to its evolution into a popular choice for commuters and travellers, CarryMe stands out as a special brand in the cycling world. Its commitment to quality, functionality, and community engagement continues to endear it to a growing base of loyal customers.
Get One Today!
Mighty Velo, Singapore’s premier folding bike shop, is proud to be a partnering retailer of CarryMe foldable bikes in Singapore! We stock the latest models released by Pacific Cycles, along with accessories to help personalise your bike to your lifestyle needs!